Board games are tabletop games that are played on a board or surface and involve moving pieces or tokens around the board according to a set of rules. Board games can be played by two or more players and often involve some level of strategy or skill. There are many different types of board games, including classic games like chess and checkers, modern games like Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride, and party games like Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity. Board games can be enjoyed by people of all ages and are a great way to socialize and have fun with friends and family.
List of Board Games
- Chess: Chess is a classic strategy game that has been played for centuries. It’s a two-player game where each player has 16 pieces that they use to try and capture their opponent’s king. Chess requires a lot of thinking ahead and planning to outmaneuver your opponent and win the game.
- Go: Go is another classic abstract game that originated in China more than 2,500 years ago. It’s a two-player game where players place black or white stones on a board with the goal of surrounding and capturing their opponent’s stones. Go requires a lot of strategic thinking and patience to build up your position and take control of the board.
- Settlers of Catan: Settlers of Catan is a popular board game that involves players building settlements and cities on a map made up of different resource tiles. Players roll dice to determine which resources they receive each turn and trade with each other to acquire the resources they need to build their settlements. Settlers of Catan requires a mix of strategy, luck, and negotiation to win.
- Dominion: Dominion is a deck-building game where players start with a small set of cards and gradually build up their deck by buying new cards from a shared pool. Each card has its own abilities and players use their deck to accumulate victory points and ultimately win the game. Dominion requires careful planning and deck management to build a winning strategy.
- Risk: Risk is a classic board game where players try to conquer the world by moving armies across a map and engaging in battles with other players. Players roll dice to determine the outcome of each battle and must use their strategic thinking to decide where to attack and defend. Risk can be a lengthy game, but it’s a great choice for players who enjoy strategic thinking and world domination.
- Pandemic: A pandemic is a cooperative game where players work together to stop the spread of deadly diseases around the world. Players must work together to contain outbreaks and find cures for the diseases before they become too widespread. A pandemic requires communication and teamwork to succeed.
- Forbidden Island: Forbidden Island is another cooperative game where players work together to find treasures on a sinking island before it’s too late. Players must strategize and prioritize which treasures to retrieve while also working to keep the island from sinking beneath their feet.
- Forbidden Desert: In Forbidden Desert, players work together to find and repair a flying machine in a desert while also fighting against the elements. Players must collect resources and use their abilities to survive the harsh desert conditions and complete their mission.
- Flash Point: Fire Rescue: Flash Point is a cooperative game where players work together as a team of firefighters to put out a raging house fire and save any survivors inside. Players must work quickly and efficiently to put out the flames and rescue anyone in danger.
- Arkham Horror: Arkham Horror is a cooperative game where players work together to fight against monsters and ancient gods trying to take over the world. Players must use their unique abilities and items to navigate the dangerous city of Arkham and stop the evil from spreading.
- Codenames: Codenames are word games where players try to guess the correct words based on clues given by their teammates. The catch is that the clues must be one word and relate to multiple words on the board, making it challenging and fun.
- Apples to Apples: Apples to Apples is a hilarious party game where players try to match up their cards with the judge’s adjective card. The cards can range from silly to serious, making for a fun and unpredictable game.
- Telestrations: Telestrations is a drawing and guessing game where players start with a word or phrase.
Family board Games:
- Ticket to Ride: Ticket to Ride is a popular family game where players collect train cards and use them to claim routes on a map of the United States. The goal is to complete as many routes as possible and connect cities to earn points. Ticket to Ride is easy to learn and fun for players of all ages.
- Carcassonne: Carcassonne is a tile-placement game where players build a medieval landscape by placing tiles and claiming cities, roads, and farms. Players earn points for completing features and can strategically block their opponents from completing theirs. Carcassonne is a great game for families because it’s easy to learn but offers a lot of strategic depth.
- Blokus: Blokus is an abstract game where players take turns placing their colored pieces on the board. The catch is that no two pieces can touch diagonally, so players must strategically place their pieces to block their opponents while also trying to create their own groups. Blokus is a quick and easy game to learn but can be challenging to master.
- Splendor: Splendor is a game where players collect gems to buy cards, which in turn provide more gems and points. Players must balance their gem collection to be able to afford more expensive cards, while also blocking their opponents from buying the cards they need. Splendor is a great game for families because it’s easy to learn and offers a good mix of strategy and luck.
- Qwirkle: Qwirkle is a tile-placement game where players create rows and columns of matching colors and shapes. Players earn points for each row or column they complete, and the game can get quite competitive as players try to block their opponents and score the most points. Qwirkle is a great game for families because it’s easy to learn but offers a lot of strategy and replayability.
- Azul: Azul is an abstract game where players take turns drafting and placing colorful tiles on their personal boards. Players earn points for completing rows and columns but must be careful not to waste tiles or leave too many unused. Azul is a beautiful and easy-to-learn game that offers a lot of strategic depth.
- Hive: Hive is an abstract game where players take turns placing and moving hexagonal pieces on a board. Each piece has its own unique movement pattern, and the goal is to surround the opponent’s queen bee while protecting your own. Hive is a quick and easy game to learn but can be quite challenging as players try to outmaneuver each other.
- Marvel Legendary: Marvel Legendary is a deck-building game where players take on the role of superheroes and work together to defeat a supervillain. Players start with a small deck of cards and add new cards as they defeat villains and gain experience. Marvel Legendary is a great game for fans of the Marvel universe and offers a lot of variety with different hero and villain combinations.
- Clank!: Clank! is a deck-building game where players take on the role of adventurers trying to steal treasure from a dragon’s lair. Players start with a small deck of cards and use them to move around the board, fight monsters, and collect treasure. The catch is that the noise they make (represented by “clank” cubes) attracts the dragon, who will attack players and slow them down. Clank! is a fun and challenging game with a lot of replayability.
- Star Realms: Star Realms is a fast-paced deck-building game set in space. Players start with a small deck of cards representing their space fleet and try to defeat their opponent’s fleet by reducing their authority to zero. Players use their cards to generate resources, acquire new ships and bases, and attack their opponent’s fleet. Star Realms is easy to learn and offers a lot of strategies with different ship and base abilities.
- Ascension: Ascension is a deck-building game where players are heroes competing to defeat monsters and gain honor. Players start with a small deck of cards and add new cards as they defeat monsters and gain honor points. Ascension offers a lot of variety with different card sets and provides a good mix of luck and strategy.